Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Bride Crafts!

We knew that this day had to come, the day when no bit of furniture was safe from paints, no hair left unsticky. Here it is - my first adventure into a DIY project (hide yo' kids, hide yo' wife).

Crafts, DIY, and being artistic are not my strong suit. However, I'm here to show you that you too can create something cute for your wedding day!  For this first experiment, I went with something that was not too valuable - a prop for the engagement photos.  I saw this inspiration a while back, and I knew that I could easily recreate. If it was a bust, I wouldn't be heartbroken. 

Fleur de Lis wedding date announcement - so cute!/Source: Lauren Carroll Photography

My supplies - alphabet stickers, assorted paint brushes, a 24 set of acrylic paint, and a cardboard fleur de lis. All from Hobby Lobby. And of course some newspaper to keep my kitchen table from becoming a victim to my paint skills.




First, I gathered all of my supplies.  This set contained all of the wedding colors, and I decided on where I wanted to use each of the colors.

The step-by-step process.
Now, I know this is going to get really complicated, so I hope these pictures help follow along (I kid. You know I kid, right?).

Step 1 I painted the center of the shape with the color I wanted for my text - gold.  I let that dry.

Step 2 I drew some pencil lines to make sure everything was centered and straight.  Then I added my stickers for the date down the center.

Step 3 I made sure the edges were pushed down well on the stickers and I painted the whole shape my base color - silver.  This took several coats to cover up the previous gold.  Let it dry some more. Sang "Silver and Gold" with Sphinx while dabbing silver paint everywhere that looked patchy.

Step 4 I let it dry then peeled off the stickers with tweezers very carefully.  Reveal the gold paint underneath.  I filled in any missing spots with gold paint, to make the letters stand out some more. Add teal dots to the center for some color.

This was as far as I had planned to go, but once everything was dry I thought it looked a bit plain.  I ended up adding a dotted border and outlining the numbers in teal too.  Here's the final product!

The final product without the Times-Picayune background!

I made the teal and gold dots with a Q-tip dipped in the paint - fairly easy method.  I did the dots a little at a time, to make sure I wasn't going overboard.  It might be a little busy, but I think that it is reminiscent of Mardi Gras beads or a lighted marquee.  Sure, I was totally going for that.

I wish the numbers were more perfect, but in the end I just let them be.  After all that trouble, I think I should have just free-handed the numbers instead of dealing with the stickers.  The teal around the edge does help them stand out more, so I'm glad we added that.  I definitely think that it will look cute in a couple of pictures, and I'm excited to have one wedding DIY under my belt!  I know this pales in comparison to what some people put together, but pulling out paints and brushes is a far stretch for me!

Are you good with DIY? Did you put your wedding date on a prop for any pictures?

No comments:

Post a Comment