Thursday, August 8, 2013

Doing a Fais-Do-Do

As we learned, New Orleans weddings seem to be a bit different, but of course we still include plenty of the same traditions such as cake cutting, tosses, photo-op exits, and first dances. So we're doing all the regular first dances, but I also wanted to add another surprise dance in the mix.
Both of my mother's parents are of fully Cajun. We're talking French speaking, cochon-de-lait roasting, red beans and rice on Monday, from "out in the country" Cajun.  Actually on a vacation in Nova Scotia, they found a poster listing the original families that traveled from Acadia to Louisiana, and my grandmother's maiden name was on there! While I am pretty far removed from the Cajun country personality - honestly, I'm more of a city girl - but it is a big part of my heritage and I'm going to try to honor it - with a Cajun dance!
I remember my grandparents going dancing when I was younger, and something about hearing the accordion and fiddle just gets my heart going!
Me and my Maw Maw at my college graduation. For my graduation party, she started weeks early making tons of food and freezing it!/personal photo
My MawMaw passed away last year, and it was very hard on our family because she was such a strong person and she seemed invincible.  The cancer came up very suddenly and her battle was about six months. It's definitely upsetting that she isn't here to share in this time with us - and tell us what to do! So this is also a way to honor her at the wedding reception.

So what exactly do we mean by Cajun dancing? Well, in general it's a little something like this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7LP-71QHHVc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We'll probably go with a Cajun two-step like this. A jitterbug is very quick, and a waltz is a little too slow.

The idea is there, but I still need to work on some of the details.  I was originally thinking that we would do this after the father/daughter and mother/son dances, but I think it might better to do it later in the night.  Clear the floor for the cake cutting or tosses, and then start the dancing back up again with a Cajun jam! I'm going to leave it open to who wants to participate out of family and bridal party - not forcing anyone to learn if they don't want to! And instead of making people watch us for the whole song, halfway through we can open the floor up to anyone who wants to join in.

And I still haven't decided on the song we will use, but I'm doing my research! I definitely want something that is Cajun and not Zydeco, with a bit of French and English lyrics, and a two-step beat. Something like this sounds pretty good. Should I check out what the lyrics are and see if they're wedding appropriate or just go with it?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wuMEhIoN9hw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mawmaw's cousin and her husband actually used to teach Cajun dancing at a local restaurant, so when they were in town earlier this year we got a private lesson! We set up some music and practiced in the driveway! I'd say we have some work to do!


So that's something we're adding in to make our reception a little special! Wish me luck on working on these dance moves!

No comments:

Post a Comment