Wednesday, January 1, 2014

He Made Me an Offer I Couldn't Refuse

Or, my mom mentioned that he might be able to help and I reached out to him, to be more precise!

Who?

My godfather, of course!

Daddy P and Uncle G from a few years back./Personal Photo

Uncle G is one of Daddy P's closest friends, and we grew up with them like family.  He also happens to own a printing business, which can be pretty useful in the world of wedding stationary.  My first plan was to buy a customized save the date design from an Etsy seller, and get Uncle G to print it.  I never really entertained the notion of printing out our stationary, even it was DIY.  You see, I have a big problem with printers.  We just don't get along. A recent text to Sphinx about a situation at work will show you...




It's real. They just don't agree with me.
In the first phone call that Sphinx made to me after we met, he asked me to tell him some things about myself.  And what did I say? "I hate printers."  Smooth, Pyramid.  That's what all guys hope you'll say.  At least this article gets where I'm coming from. But I digress.

I knew that Uncle G would be a big help if we were going the semi-DIY route on paper products.  I ended up working with J, the designer at his shop to customize our save the dates.  I knew that I wanted a simple card that incorporated our engagement pictures, but trying to design them myself proved to be a huge flop.  In browsing Minted and Wedding Paper Divas, I found some great inspiration, but nothing that was exactly right.  Here were some of my favorites from the templates online:

"Sincere Promise" from Wedding Paper Divas.  Our photos by Concept Photography.

It's coming out really dark, but this is Opaque Dream from Wedding Paper Divas

So I sent these to J, along with a little bit of direction towards my preferences:
  • Text directly on the photo (not in a box on the side)
  • "Save the Date," the names, and the date large. 
  • Incorporating our colors of purple/teal/gold, but black or white is fine if it looks better on the photo.
  • Combination of (really) swirly script and block letters
  • A certain picture as our semi-transparent background (like in the second example above, but a different picture)
  • Including our names, "Save the Date", the phrase "are getting married," the wedding website, New Orleans, LA, the date, and the phrase "formal invitation to follow."
And because she is a genius/magicain/mind-reader, J was able to transform my crazy babblings into the perfect design that I had in my mind but just couldn't create.  I sat down with her for a little while to work out some of the finer details, and I was super happy with the result!  Uncle G printed them, and he and his wife, Aunt V, gifted them to us for Christmas because they're awesome and amazing.  Sphinx and I made some tiny modifications before sending them out, and I'll share how it all turned out next time!

Did you have a family memeber help you out for any wedding crafts?  Anybody else who just can't ever seem to get printers to do what they want them to?  What did I ever do to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment