Friday, March 21, 2014

All About Me: Bridal Portraits

Remember all the way back to my early posting days (if you've been with me since then, hey! Thanks for sticking around!), when I said that I originally thought that engagement pictures were super awkward?  Okay, so I ended up coming to terms with that.  But you know what to know how to make things really awkward?  Take away one person and have another wedding photo shoot! 


I'm talking about bridal portraits, folks.  Which I should have mentioned in my New Orleans/Southern wedding traditions post, but since it's just what you do here; I forgot they aren't the norm elsewhere!  For those who aren't familiar, bridal portraits are done several weeks before the wedding with just the bride, usually in a different place than the wedding venue to get some pictures beforehand.  I'm not really sure of the exact reason, and I have no need for an entire album of pictures of me, but I'm all for it since it will act as a dress rehearsal for my wedding dress and accessories in advance of the wedding.  And it'll make Momma P happy to have some extra pictures of me, so that's what we're doing!


Longue Vue Gardens was one place I considered for photos./Photo by Eau Claire Photographics



As a Scarlet O'hara fan my entire life, I loved the idea of fully encompassing the Southern belle look by taking photos at a plantation.  There were several options to check out, like Oak Alley, Nottoway Plantation, and Houmas House.  But besides the interest in the plantations, I didn't have much motivation to go ahead and get something booked early. Don't be like Pyramid, my dears.  Be smarter than the Pyramid.  Book it early.

Oak Alley bridal portraits.  I should definitely get a parasol, right?./Photo by Babs Evangelista Photography

When I was picking a photographer and dress, bridal portraits seemed so far into the future, that I didn't think much of the logistics of it until we started creeping into February.  When would my dress be altered and ready?   How early should we do them to get a picture printed for display at the reception?  But honestly, I was just dreading having to find another location and book another date and pay another set of fees.  The session was included in my photographer's package, but most locations charge to let you use the space for photos (like $400 for some of these plantations).

Okay, so my search wasn't too terrible, but there was a lot of back and forth between myself, my photographer and a few locations, in which I worked to match up everyone's available dates and it was tougher than I thought it would be.  Especially when venues aren't open on Sunday, don't book sessions on Saturdays because of events, and I work during the week and wouldn't be able to take off!  The next logical step was going to be shooting in a public space like City Park or the French Quarter, but we were able to find a solution.

There are two plantations in the town where I grew up - one is Destrehan Plantation and the other is Ormond.  Destrehan only lets brides getting married there take photos, but the smaller one, Ormond, was open for anyone.  Their schedule was a bit tight, but because Momma P is friends with a coordinator there, and they agreed to let us go shoot on a Sunday that worked for me and my photographer.

Ormond Plantation./Photo from Trip Advisor

Even though the plantation is smaller and not as grand as some of the others, the fees are just right ($75 for four hours, inside and out), there's no tours going on so less restrictions of where we can shoot, and I have a special connection with the place, since it's just a few minutes from the house I grew up in.  MOH Curls pointed out that both plantations sit on the route that Sphinx and I would drive to get to each other's houses in our hometown.  So sweet.

Once the coordinator was able to make the special allowance for us, the decision was made.  I realized that we don't need a location that has dozens of backdrops for poses - we will display one at the reception and my mom or Nanny might want one.  We just needed one or two to come out nice, not a whole bunch like the engagement pictures.

There weren't a ton of pictures online of bridal portraits at Ormond, but I have faith in Sandra that she will be able to get some lovely pictures inside the house, on the porch, and out by the trees.

If you're thinking the chandelier played a part in my decision, you're absolutely right./Photo by Dark Roux Photography


The porch and columns make for nice pictures./Photo by GK Photography

I also think I'll take this opportunity to have my photographer take a few detail pictures involving items that I don't want to coordinate on the day of the wedding.  For example, I want a picture with our wedding rings and the album that has our first dance song.  Sphinx's dad has all of The Beatles' albums, so I think that'll be really fun to have the "Love Me Do/P.S. I Love You" album featured in a shot.  But I don't want to worry about bringing the album downtown the day of the wedding.

I loved this idea when I saw Mrs. Wallaby post about it./Photo by Callaway Gable Photography

Similarly, I love shots that feature the rings of the women in the bride's family.  Getting people's rings together that day would be tricky, and I don't want to run the risk of misplacing my grandma's ring just to get a picture.

Mrs. Armadillo's family rings, all lined up./Photo by Captured Photos
Side note: I just got really excited, since Mrs. Armadillo shows off her bees in that post, and they're the same ones that I will be carrying on my wedding day!  Connection!

One part that stinks - my hair dresser's salon isn't open on Sundays and she is busy that day so can't take me on the side.  I'll have to find someone else to put my hair up, and I still need to see if my makeup artist is free.
Is anyone else doing or have done bridal pictures?  Any tips for having a successful shoot?

No comments:

Post a Comment