Friday, October 4, 2013

Let's Take It There...

Do you remember the instructions given to you in school for a creative writing assignment?
Okay, I was probably a high school junior the last time I did that and I don't fancy myself a writer (Momma P's response to hearing I was accepted as a Bee: "But you're not a writer!" Thanks Ma.) but I still recall the premise.  I know that my teachers would always tell us to start off by writing down words or phrases, just getting all the ideas out there on paper and whittle it down later.

Well, this very non-creative engineer bride was able to apply this idea to wedding planning!

When I was trying to figure out what my inspiration was for wedding decor, I realized I was being too picky and couldn't figure out what I wanted.  Of course I wasn't going to stumble across one picture online that would perfectly sum up what I want, so I applied the creative writing technique!  Anything that appealed to me on Pinterest or other wedding blogs would get saved or pinned.  I didn't stop to question "oh no, how much would that cost?" or "now how would we be able to set that up?" or "does that go with my theme?"  No, none of those idea-squashing questions were allowed!

If you're going to come along with me now, I ask you to suspend your disbelief (and any thoughts of a budget) for a few minutes because I'm going to take it THERE.

Floral and draped altar/Photo via June Bug Weddings/Photo by Alante Photography

Outdoor lighting hanging from the trees. Photo by Natasja Kretmers
Candelabras and scattered candles./Photo from The Knot/Photo by Jennifer Lindberg Weddings

Long table and different types of flowers./Photo from Style Me Pretty/ Photo by Samuel Lippke
The coolest cake table ever./Photo via Wedding Chicks/Photo by Delesie
Tall centerpieces with crystals./Photo via Elegant Wedding Magazine/ Photo by Mimmo and Co

Candelabras, chandeliers, orchids - oh my!/Photo from FETE




Long, full centerpieces with hanging florals/Photo via Wed Luxe Magazine/ Photo by Corina V Photography

Purple uplighting and a monogrammed spotlight!/Photo via David Tutera

Of course, these are but a few of the pictures that I have saved, but with the exercise I can start to see what kind of styles I am drawn to for our wedding.  I've already discussed my infatuation with chandeliers, and it does flow over into a love for candelabras and cozy votive candles, too.  So obviously those receptions with lots of interesting candlelight caught my attention, and it is something I will be including in our decor.

I love a neutral color palette with pops of color - golds, white, and purple uplighting.  Most of these pictures have white flowers in the centerpieces, which is odd because I love colorful flowers!  I'll share more details of my floral plans, but these pictures are pretty good evidence of how classy and elegant white flowers are.

You might have noticed that many of the pictures I chose were set in very lovely - probably historic- venues.  This makes me feel good about choosing a venue that is historic and already has some impressive architecture.  I like the idea of not overdecorating (I'm looking at that last photo, David Tutera!) and letting the space shine through. And I was drawn to decor that wasn't completely typical, but not too out there, just a little bit of "huh, I've never seen that before."

Now, our wedding cannot look just like these, and that's okay!  While this decor is stunning and is sure to wow everyone, I know that linens and flowers are actually pretty low on the list of "What Makes a Wedding Awesome" to a guest.  They'll remember the food (and drink!), the music, the feeling of the night - not how many candles are around each centerpiece.  Of course I won't give up all the decorations in exchange for feeding my guests and getting them hammered (...or can I?), but I'm aiming for a nice, happy medium.

I decided to pull out some of my favorite feasible decor elements, and we will be incorporating those things that I think will make the most impact.  Some of this will be with flowers, some will be rented, and some we will attempt some DIY!  I can't wait to share some of my ideas with you!

Have you tried a no-reservations Pinning Spree to get your creative juices flowing?  

No comments:

Post a Comment