Monday, November 24, 2014

Monumental Love: Rise, But Hold the Shine

When I awoke on Saturday morning, I was first conscious of two things: my throat felt scratchy and there was rain tapping on the window of the hotel room.  

Oh well, no turning back now, right?

View from the bedroom window./Photo by Eau Claire Photographics
Dino and Taco both spent the night in the suite with me, but I woke up on my own and had some quiet time.  First a shower, then I sat down to write a quick post for you guys, my dad brought me a yummy coffee which helped to soothe my throat, and finally I put together my letter for Sphinx.  In the end, I liked leaving it to last minute, because my emotions were more sincere and sappy that way.  As I was finishing up the letter, the activity level in the room started to pick up.

The last part of the letter, with the other side full - I'm wordy in all aspects of m ylife, not just my blog posts!/Photo by Eau Claire Photographics

The suite had a bedroom, sitting area, vanity nook, and breakfast area, so we were able to spread everything out pretty easily without it feeling too cramped.  Makeup was done in the bedroom, where the light was best, hair was at the vanity, and dresses were hung up in the sitting area where all the girls would relax while waiting for their turn.  

I made a schedule for the day, but I kept it pretty general and flexible, and I didn't share it with all parties involved in the effort to not overwhelm them with information.  Especially with the rain, some of our picture and transportation plans were mixed up so we figured we'd be playing parts of it by ear.  

A snippet of the schedule from when I was planning the length of time needed for all the pieces of the day.

As you can see, we had make-up starting before 9:00, but we didn't need to be ready for pictures until 3:30.  That meant a lot of hanging around for us girls in our robes while drinking some bubbly.  I had stocked the suite with champagne, orange juice, cute little plastic flutes, biscotti, fruit, chips, and little sandwiches to keep us all happy throughout the day, and we really did have an enjoyable time.  

Key to a happy wedding morning: never let the champagne hand be empty/Photo by Eau Claire Photographics

I feel like this is the time to mention it (so we don't have to ever again), that the morning was not 100% peaceful.  Starting pretty early, I was getting plenty of phone calls.  The ones from the video, photo, hair, and makeup vendors letting me know they were in the lobby were fine.  The ones from the rentals company asking me why the venue wasn't unlocked - not so fine.  The two were supposed to talk to each other to figure out a time, but apparently there was a miscommunication and I was the only one they could reach.  Eventually someone came to open the gate, and soon after they realized that the extra tables they brought didn't match the drawings.  

I explained my screw up in in my scatterbrained post, so I won't go into that detail again, but the fact is I had a little meltdown over tables and linens the morning of the wedding.  It wasn't a "Everything is ruined!" type of freak out, more like a "How could I make that mistake, and now people have to run around fixing it and I feel terrible!"kind of thing.  But as BM Perk put it "From where I was standing, it looked like you were having a meltdown over tablecloths."  

Ah well, I was a bride, a stupid freak out is pretty much required, right?  At least that was the final push that made me relinquish control - there wasn't anything else I could do, and at that point it didn't matter.  My florist and the venue coordinator made do with what they had, no one was any the wiser, and it all looked beautiful.  I just could have done without the additional stress, but overall it was a really minor detail in an otherwise really lovely morning!  

Next up - we all get our glam on!


Previously on the Pyramid Wedding:

No comments:

Post a Comment