Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Monumental Love: Girls Get Glam

So everyone says the wedding day is the best day of your life, right?  Well, if I had any doubts about that, they were cleared up when our makeup artist Amanda walked into our suite and handed me two pouches full of false eyelashes and said "Here, look through these and pick out your favorites."  I can get used to that.

We set Amanda up by the window in the bedroom, and the girls took turns getting all painted up.  

All photos by Eau Claire Photographics
I frequently stopped by the makeup chair to see the progress and helped the girls decide on their lip colors.  




Everyone donned the robes I had given them, and they were an absolute hit.  They were calling each other by the color names all morning. 


"Hey, Pink, could you grab me some more champagne?" 

"Teal - you're up next to get your hair done!" 

 "Yellow, your phone is ringing!"  

We have no recollection of what Curls was showing me, but let's assume it was this.

I'm pretty sure Yellow's phone was ringing a bit by that point, because she had taken over my phone.  She was handling the contacts with my mom and any vendors that were calling so that I wouldn't have to be worried and could spend time actually enjoying my day.  Bless her. Truly.



All of my bridesmaids were so sweet and trying to make the morning as easy going as they could for me, so I've got to share this silly little story.

A few things to know first: I will ramble on really random, stupid tangents sometimes, I hate mayonnaise, and I love mustard.  So Momma P picked up trays of little sandwiches I had ordered and brought them to the hotel room.  After my hair was done, they sat me down to make sure I ate some.  As I was eating, I noticed that those sandwiches had a really strong mustard flavor.  I was just munching along and just kept babbling on "Wow, these are really mustard-y.  I mean, I like that, because I like mustard, but a lot of people don't, you know?  Like usually they're more mayo-y, which isn't always my favorite, but I can handle it on little finger sandwiches because it's usually mixed with some mustard, but geez these have a lot of mustard. Has Curls tried these?  She hates mustard, I hope they're not all like this or no one will eat them."

Finally the girls just couldn't take it anymore and started busting out laughing.  While I had been in the other room, they had started on the sandwiches and noticed how much mayo was on them. These girls had scraped off the mayo and found some packets of mustard to make special ones just for me.  I was laughing too, realizing how much I was commenting on a dang finger sandwich, and how they had taken the time to wipe off condiments so that I would be happy.  I think it was then that I was just like "Well, problems might still keep happening, we'll just roll with them.  I've got the very best people in the world here supporting me."

And with that, I was able to jump into the makeup chair (I was the last one to get mine done so it would be fresh), and all my worries eased away as Amanda worked her magic.






I love how everyone's makeup turned out, and I'm so glad I went with Amanda, who is still doing makeup part-time, but trying to build up her business.  Her prices were very reasonable, especially considering she did airbrush foundation, false lashes, and gave me a full size MAC lipstick and gloss to take with me for touch ups!  She doesn't have a website, but if you're local and want her info, just shoot me a message.



So you'll notice, there are no pictures of the girls getting their hair done.  Two reasons for that. First, Nicole was pretty much the fastest hair stylist anyone had ever worked with, and second, the photographers weren't due to get there until after she was done.  Even with taking some time to fix up my mom's hair (which had fallen in the rain when she went to check out the situation at the venue), she was out of there before our photographers had everything set up.  The girls chose their own hairstyles, gathering some inspiration from Nicole's instagram page, and I think they all turned out gorgeous. 

Come on, sunlight, you know you want to come on out!
We got a few solo shots first.

Putting on the earrings.

I was trying to go for a recreation of this shot, showing off all my little details that might not show later on.

And a spritz of perfume.
And then we needed a few more pictures in those cute, colorful robes before getting dressed.

MOH Curls, my dear little sister, and BM Dino, who finally became my sister after all these years!


A bit of really random advice: if you stay in your hotel room the night before, don't put the "Do Not Disturb" tag on the door.  Make sure you at least get the housekeeper to at least freshen up the bed, even if you've got too much activity going on for her to do all the cleaning. It came out so much nicer in pictures than how we would have fixed it up!

At about this point, the girls were still making a case for walking down the aisle in the robes - they just didn't want to take them off!  So if you're on the fence about getting them for your party, I'd say go for it.

A little sneak peak of what is to come behind us!


One last comment on the timing: we got all of these pictures, even though the photographers didn't show up until about 2:30 PM.  I weighted the options between getting the photographers there earlier but leaving the reception early, arriving to the hotel later but capturing our exit, or just paying for a lot more hours.  When I spoke to Sandra about it, she recommended the second option - and she reassured me that the hour or so they were there in the hotel room before putting on the dress would be plenty enough time to get my candids of the girls, detail shots, and those lovely getting ready photos.  "We don't need two hours of you with wet hair and no makeup, we'll make it look like we were there for much longer."  So true - all the pictures of me getting my makeup done up there were just the final touch-ups!  Just something to keep in mind as you're planning out your day. 




Previously on the Pyramid Wedding:

No comments:

Post a Comment