Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Monumental Love: The Rite of Marriage

After the readings, it was time to get down to the business of actually getting married.  None of this was personalized at all, but I love how traditional and simple our promises to each other were.  I've put in most of the ceremony text here, in case it can help another bride - and just so you can get a better idea of all that went on during this part of the mass.

Father Philip: My dear friends, you have come together in this church tonight, so that the lord may seal and strengthen your love in the pretense of the church's minister in this community. 

Jesus abundantly blesses your love. He has already consecrated you in baptism, and now He enriches and strengthens you by a special sacrament so that you may assume the duties of marriage in mutual and lasting fidelity. 

STATEMENT OF INTENTIONS
Now in the presence of this church, I ask you to state your intentions: 

All photos by Eau Claire Photographics
I love how Sphinx looked at me at this part to make sure we were both supposed to respond together. Yes, dear.

Evan and Lauren, have you come here freely and without reservation to give yourselves to each other in marriage?
We do.
Will you love and honor each other as man and wife for the rest of your lives?
We will.
Will you accept children lovingly from God, and bring them up to the law of Christ and his church?
We will.

CONSENT AND EXCHANGE OF VOWS
Since it is your intention to enter into marriage, join your right hands and declare your consent before God and his Holy Church.*

Our church was by no means full, but the size of St. Francis was definitely good for a guest list of our size.  The church doesn't look too empty in pictures like this.

"I, Evan, take you, Lauren to be my wife.  I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health.  I will love you and honor you all the days of my life."


"I, Lauren, take you, Evan to be my husband.  I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health.  I will love you and honor you all the days of my life."

If you recall, I woke up with a sore throat that morning, so when I went to go speak, I sounded really choked up.  I was emotional, but this definitely made it very noticeable. 

Lauren and Evan, you have now declared your consent before this church. may the Lord in His goodness strengthen your consent and fill you both with His blessings.  What God has joined, no person must ever divide.

BLESSING AND EXCHANGE OF RINGS
BM Skittles had been instructed to put the rings in a dish on the altar table before there mass began, and at this point the priest blessed them with holy water.

May the Lord bless these rings which you will give to each other a sign of your love and fidelity. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. 


"Lauren, take this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity.  In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

As you can see, I opted to keep my engagement ring on my left hand, and just put the wedding band on top. 

"Evan, take this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity.  In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."


Sphinx's ring took a good little push to get on, which caused me to make a face and then whisper "It's not coming off now."  Thus the goofy expression.


It is with great pleasure that I now pronounce you man and wife.  Evan, you may kiss your beautiful bride!


And so we did as the man said.


Our friends and family clapped and cheered, and we took a second to just soak it all in.


We're married!
The End.
It's been real, hive, bye!


Ah, I kid!  You know this married couple still has a lot to share with you!

*We had asked our priest if it would be okay to include a hand blessing before the vows (the idea came straight from Mrs. Waterfall), which he had agreed to.  Time came, he didn't end up doing it.  No big deal overall, I just felt like mentioning it in case you like that idea and want to see about including it in your ceremony because it is lovely!

Previously on the Pyramid Wedding:

No comments:

Post a Comment