Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Monumental Love: Parent Dances and a Few Tears

We followed up the first dance with the parent dances, beginning with Sphinx and his mom.  Sphinx Mom chose Alison Krauss's version of the song "Baby Mine" from Dumbo.  I was thankful that she texted me with that choice on a Friday when my office was relatively empty.  I had never heard this version, so I ended up sitting at my desk bawling as I listened to the beautiful song.  

I'm not sure Sphinx had quite the same reaction to the song, but he seemed to like the moment with his mom./Photos by Eau Claire Photographics unless otherwise noted. 
So we all watched on at the sweet mother-son moment on the dance floor. 




Throughout the night, Momma P seemed to use the seats at our sweetheart table more than we did.  Honestly, it was mostly just a place for me to set my drink.
Okay, and we're going to step away from the dance for just a quick second because I had to share this hilarious photo with you guys.  My mom sent this to me after the wedding, from her personal camera with the caption "What the heck is going on here?"

Personal photo. I swear I tried to correct the eyes, but they were just too crazy.
Who makes that face? It took me a few minutes to remember what was happening here - that's not a face of disgust.  It's a face of "Holy crap, being the bride is amazing!"

Someone brought my glass of champagne from the bridal suite out to my table, and I picked it back up after our first dance. No sooner could I take a sip of that half-empty (half-full?) glass than our attendant showed up and handed me a fresh flute.  "Here, this one is colder," she said, as angels sang above her head.  And thus I was so amazed that I made the face you see above.  That's the sign of a pretty fantastic night to come, in my opinion.

Now, back to the dance.

Baby mine, don't you cry.
Baby mine, dry your eyes.

One of my favorites of Sphinx Mom.  Just pure joy and happiness.
Rest your head close to my heart,
never to part,
baby of mine.



 Let those eyes sparkle and shine,
Never a tear,
Baby of mine.

After I got over the shock of all of my champagne dreams coming true,  I was back into watching on.  I also went to find my grandma to make sure she realized what song was playing - Dumbo is her favorite and there may have been an instance of her crying in a TV aisle at an electronics store when that scene was playing.  So maybe that's where I get it from. 

You are so precious to me,
Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.


Sphinx Mom had specifically requested that version of the song (like we did with our first dance), so we didn't have the band play those.  Daddy P chose "What a Wonderful World" for our father-daughter dance, and we had the band perform that to kick off their set.


At first, I was like "Really, Daddy? Shouldn't we find something that's more special and personal to us?"  I had tossed out a few other ideas, but wasn't too attached to any, so the fact that he picked this one was meaningful enough for me.

I didn't cry during our dance, but I wept like a little baby when watching the video months later.  I swear (contrary to all these stories), I am not one of those people who cry a lot.  The Notebook, sad songs, that Nationwide Super Bowl commercial - sure, I'll find them sad or touching but they don't usually produce waterworks.  Except for when it came to my wedding, apparently.



The colors of the rainbow, 
So pretty in the sky. 
Are also on the faces, 
Of people going by, 


I see friends shaking hands. 
Saying, "How do you do?" 
They're really saying, 
"I love you". 

Momma P with a friend she's known since high school watching us dance.  Glowing, much?
 I hear baby's crying and I watched them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know 
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.


Yes, I think to myself, 
What a wonderful world. 

And with the necessary dances out of the way, our dance floor was officially open for business! 
Previously on the Pyramid Wedding:

No comments:

Post a Comment