Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A Little Background Music

Consider these facts: 

1) I'm a big Disney fan.
2) Our church and reception venue are on opposite sides of town.
3) We'll be having a band at our reception.
4) I work in a cubicle, which is supposed to create a "collaborative work environment."

Well, it all adds up to the perfect cocktail hour music!  
What?

Well, since we're having a cocktail reception, I guess there technically isn't a "cocktail hour," but just roll with me here.  Before the bridal party arrives and opens up the dance floor, I hope that our guests are grabbing some drinks, some of our delicious food, admiring the decor, using the photo booth and mingling with each other.  Pretty awkward if there isn't any sound at all though, so of course we need some light background music during that time.  

I've been in all of these locations./Photo from Dilbert.com

So what's with the cubes?  Well, that office collaboration isn't always quiet, so long ago I (along with a million others) started wearing headphones and listening to music during the day .  Pandora wasn't really doing it for me, because I felt like I had to change the song too often or I'd just get distracted and start singing along.  I discovered YouTube videos of Disney parks musical loops to cancel out the ringing phones and conversations going on around me.  Music plays a big part at Disney parks, adding to the theme and story of an area or ride, so there's a ton to choose from. Some of my favorites are the Main Street Area Loop and the EPCOT Innoventions Plaza Loop.  They're long and just instrumental, so I am able to turn it on and get into a working zone.  

And through building my at-work playlist, I found the perfect song to use for our cocktail hour!  



The "Music of Carthay Circle" is a compilation of jazz versions of some classic Disney songs, from the Carthay Circle Restaurant at Disney Land.   I love that it's jazzy, which fits in at our New Orleans wedding, but in our own way.  Sure, people might recognize them, but they won't feel like they're listening to children's songs.  And at 37 minutes long, this is a good length of time for our cocktail hour (with maybe just a bit needing to be repeated).  

Fact #5: my very favorite song has always been "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" by Elton John/The Lion King (either version), but I figured that would be way to sappy to use as a first dance song, so I'm glad it's one of the songs included here.  

Sure, we might not get to hear it, but I'll know that a little bit of my personality and interest was included in a wedding detail like that.  

Anybody else get annoyed in a cubicle?  What do you listen to?  Did you try and pick out something special for your cocktail hour music?

No comments:

Post a Comment