Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Gettin' Glammified

You've heard a lot about how I enjoy makeup and it's fun for me, but when we're talking about being under a time crunch and stressing that everything is perfect on the wedding day, I'd rather just sit back, trust the professionals, and sip on a mimosa, thankyouverymuch.   

For both hair and makeup inspiration, I tried to narrow down what I was drawn to so that I was providing some guidance, but letting each of the artists work to do what would look best on me. 

For makeup, I wanted a smokey bronze and brown look on the eyes, with lots of lashes, defined brows, and natural contour and highlighting.  Similar to my regular look, but just amplified!  

An overall a perfected look, but with more color to the lips./Makeup and Photo from Fady Kataya

When it comes to hair, I am so at a loss.  I can pull something good enough together, but I have a hard time even figuring out what I want for a regular haircut!  So I spent a lot of time trying to find the perfect hair inspiration, but then talked myself down: I didn't need to reinvent the wheel when it comes to updos - just keep it simple!  Based on my (gosh dern) widow's peak + cowlick, I knew that I wanted a style where my hair was parted and swept to the side, and gathered in a lower curly bun.  And a good bit of volume too, because I'm a southern girl and can't help it.  

Anna Kendrick's hairdo for the premier of Up in the Air./From IMDB
charleston weddings, hilton head weddings, myrtle beach weddings
Okay, maybe that's just a touch bit too much volume./Photo from A Low Country Wed
I knew I didn't want to venture too far into either messy curls or slicked back style, but stay somewhere in between.  I didn't want any curls hanging in my face, and I didn't want anything that necessitated side-swept bangs, since I don't have side-swept bangs.  Did anyone else notice that a lot of bridal hair inspiration pictures are taken from the back - which is great and all, but to me curls pinned up are all pretty much the same.  I'd rather make sure it looks good from the front and is flattering to the face, so that's what I focused on.

And to whom did I entrust the execution of these looks on the big day?  Two fabulous ladies, of course! 

Amanda, a good friend of BM J's wife, M, is a part-time makeup artist.  She actually did all of the bridesmaids' makeup for J and M's wedding, and they all looked gorgeous! 

Displaying 576239_10100312084871714_1070521789_n.jpg
M's wedding with all of her bridesmaids done up by Amanda!/Photo by M's Mom
For the makeup trial, I was able to set it up on the day of my work Christmas party so I actually had somewhere to wear this look.  Amanda came by my house along with M, and we had a girly afternoon of mimosa's and makeup (is there anything more perfect?).  Being the makeup lover that I am, I had a blast talking over products and application techniques with Amanda - and this was my first time having airbrush makeup applied!  She let me give a lot of input on how the look was turning out, and I was able to choose my blush, lipstick, and lashes from her kit.    

Personal photos of my makeup look by Amanda. 

In all, I felt fabulous and it lasted all night through my work party very well (the picture on the left is actually at the end of the night!).  For the wedding day, I definitely would just like to step everything up a notch to give me more coverage and color.  For this look, she used the Urban Decay Naked palette on the eyes, Chanel Soleil cream bronzer (the same one I love!), MAC Fleur Power blush on the cheeks, and MAC Angel lipstick with a nude Lorac gloss on top.  

For my hair stylist, I went with the recommendation from one of Nanny's friends - Nicole.  Nicole's definitely experienced with hair for weddings, and Nanny said that she works very quickly and is good about changing it up to get exactly what you want.  

Unfortunately, I don't have enough parties in my social calendar to use my hair trial for a special event, but getting my trial done certainly made me feel better about being indecisive with my hair!  I showed Nicole some pictures and she broke it down easily for me: Curls low in the back, hair parted and side swept, teased crown, and smooth on top.  Yep, that all sounded good!  I met Sphinx after my hair appointment and got some delightful pizza for lunch, so that counts as doing something, right? 

Photos of my fancy 'do!  Yes that's a bathroom, but it was by the sink so please don't be too creeped out.

I brought my veil to the trial, and the comb wasn't exactly right to fit into the bun (we were using a plastic one and probably need a metal one), but it looked nice overall.  Of course, veils cover up all those pretty curls, but I won't be wearing both layers all day, so I'm fine with that.  

Both Amanda and Nicole will be doing makeup and hair for me and my bridesmaids in our suite the morning of the wedding.  For both, I think their pricing is very reasonable.  And Amanda agreed to do my trials for free to build up her portfolio which I was really pleased with!  

Which were you more excited about - hair or makeup? Did you get a chance to use a trial for a fun event? 

No comments:

Post a Comment