Thursday, February 13, 2014

Send My Love to You

Happy Valentine's Day, Hive!  We don't really do anything special to celebrate the holiday, since we're usually just getting over the madness that is the anniversary-birthday-Christmas marathon in December, but it's still a chance for a little something sweet.  I'll be celebrating by getting my wedding dress fitted during the day (squee!) and then cooking a nice dinner with Sphinx at home.

In honor of the day, I figured I'd share something very lovey-dovey: our first dance song.

Lots of couples seem to struggle and search for the perfect song, but this was the one wedding detail that I had figured out years ago.  I shared my idea with Sphinx years before we were engaged and he agreed it was perfect (without freaking out at all, so he's perfect).


His family is pretty big into The Beatles, and Sphinx introduced me to this song sometime early in our relationship.  I had never heard this one, and I loved it.  When we would text, email, or write letters or cards, we would usually include a "P.S. I love you," naturally, without consciously copying the song.  When I'd ask him what was making him smile like that he would say "you, you, you."  And the song is about a long-distance relationship, waiting to see each other again, and that's how we spent the first five years of our relationship.  It's also a nice upbeat song, it's classic, and best of all...

It's TWO MINUTES long.

So, pretty much perfect.

We wouldn't have to spend a very long, awkward time in the center of the room doing the middle-school shuffle.  I've been a dancer my whole life, but that doesn't mean that I'm any good at ballroom type stuff, and dancing isn't Sphinx's favorite activity.  I swear we keep meaning to practice a little bit, but we just keep putting it aside, so hopefully our cute and short song will distract from that.

Pyramids showing off our skills at Best Man J's wedding.  All the best dancing happens with beer bottles in hand./Photo personal
So the only issue is - that band I talked about.  Not a problem, but I just didn't want them playing our first dance song.  Part of the charm is that it's a Beatles song, but it's not a very well known one, so if it is played by another band, people won't realize it.  So we'll be playing a recording for our first dance, and jumping into the band after.  Parent dances are still undetermined, so we'll just have to see if those will be performed or played.

Did you use "your" song for a first dance or did you have to search one out?  Do you have any special Valentine's Day plans?

P.S. I love you, Bees!

No comments:

Post a Comment