Monday, March 30, 2015

Monumental Love: Pyramids Parade

Before we knew it, Groovy 7 was kicking off the final song: the traditional New Orleans second line!  I explained the second line a long time ago (and I also considered hiring a separate brass band to take this parade to the streets, but eventually decided it wasn't worth the money/hassle), but it's basically a big conga line with umbrellas and napkins to wrap up the reception. 

If you want to listen along to get into the spirit, here's the standard Mardi Gras song we second lined to.  This song was the one we wanted, but once again (last time!), Past Pyramid didn't send the right document to the band, so they didn't know to play it.  But you can listen to either one.  It's like a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book.  Except...the entire picture and story is the same.  Oh well, do what you wanna. 

All photos by Eau Claire Photographics


There was a bit of a hustle to locate our umbrellas when we heard the music start - I had packed them in the boxes with the decor but I didn't know where they wound up!  I was trying to locate our venue coordinator when Mrs. D (who helped set up earlier that day) came to the rescue - she grabbed the two umbrellas from under the family picture table and we were all set to lead out our second line!

In the haste to get the line started, we opened my umbrella too quickly and broke one of the arms.  That's what I get for buying a plain umbrella for like $1.87 and DIYing...but I grabbed inside and made it work.  Just like Tim Gunn would have wanted me to do.


Decorated umbrellas from local bridal shops don't allow for much customization and can get pretty pricey, so I bought a plain black and a plain white one and some feathered boas from a local Mardi Gras shop and decorated them myself.  I painted Sphinx's umbrella with the Greek letter lambda, in the style of the Spartan shield.  Scholars remain divided on the historical accuracy of the feather use.

I channeled my favorite animal and free-handed the giraffe pattern and monogram onto my umbrella.  Pretty pleased with myself if you can't tell.

"Under $10 for both of these, can you believe it?"
We wove the line in and out of the tables, making a circle around the entire room, and encouraging seated guests (who apparently had not taken enough advantage of the open bar) to join in. 


One of the unexpected fun parts of the second line was the pictures we got when everyone crossed over the dance floor.  So many guests busted a dance move or struck a pose while at the front of the room!


Note Momma P is holding something in her left hand.  That's a little rhinestone mask we randomly came across while shopping, and thought it would be cute for the second line.  With the rush to find the umbrellas, I didn't want to take the extra time to tie it on, so we skipped it.  Believe it or not, I haven't found an occasion where a rhinestone mask is appropriate attire since then.  But I'm not giving up hope...


Some weddings will have personalized cloth napkins for the second line, but that was something that fell way low on our priority list.  Guests just grabbed plain white cocktail napkins and didn't have to pretend like they were going to take them home as a favor and treasure them forever.  Or some people just waved a beer like my dad. Close enough.



One of my favorites of GM Jojo and his wife K.  They're now the parents of an adorable little guy who was - unbeknownst to many - technically in attendance that night!




There's really no dance to a second line - you just walk and wave your little napkin til it feels like your arm is about to fall off.


Proof that we had at least some food out til the very end of the evening - K is munching on a grilled asparagus spear from the carving station.  Pleasing the vegans with the food options: high five!


Like with the cake pulls, I was really excited for our out of town guests (like M on the right) to experience something new.  I loved seeing them joining in our little parade of craziness.


This picture represents another mini plus one that was secretly there that night - GM Moe (who takes his second line footwork very seriously) and J are parents of a precious baby girl now!


As the music wound down, we found our way to the dance floor to show off our dance moves and fancy props one more time.  Apparently we did something the crowd approved of!


Add this to the list of photos where I don't know what's going on.  Guests are wooing up a storm, and my mom's cousin looks like she's pretty darn shocked about something!  Good or bad? Nobody knows...



A closer look at my umbrella handy work.  I am now the proud owner of a personalized, broken, feathered umbrella.  There is literally no way to reuse this thing, but I just can't throw it away yet.


This late in the evening, the kisses were getting pretty sloppy.  Time to get these kids out of here!

Previously on the Pyramid Wedding:

No comments:

Post a Comment